MX Player is definitely one of most popular and best Android Video Player available in Google Play. MX Player has many advantages like friendly UI, gesture options, HW/SW decoder switching etc.
MX Player started getting the "Unsupported android version" error from Android 4.4 which was fixed later. But the same error still shows in Android 4.4.1 and 4.4.2 respectively. Many users complained in the MX Player Google Play page but still the devs haven't fixed it yet.
My Searching on MX Player alternate ended on BS Player and VLC. Both the players are available for free and rich in video format support, performance, etc.
MX Player updated with Android 4.4.1 and 4.4.2 support - Download
BS Player Official features list
- Android 4.4 KitKat compatibility
- multi-core (dual and quad-core) HW decoding support - significantly improves playback speed
- background playback in popup window (long tap on button Back to playback video and audio in popup video)
- hardware accelerated video playback - increases speed and reduces battery consumption*
- Support for almost all media files (video and audio player), such as: avi, divx, flv, mkv, mov, mpg, mts, mp4, m4v, rmvb, wmv, 3gp, mp3, flac... and streaming content such as RTMP, RTSP, MMS (tcp, http), HTTP Live stream, HTTP.
- Multiple audio streams and subtitles.
- Playlist support and various playback modes.
- External and embedded subtitles ssa/ass, srt, sub. txt...
- Find subtitles automatically (mobile data or wi-fi must be enabled to work)
- Playback media files such as videos and mp3's directly via Wi-Fi from your network shared drives/folders (such as external USB drives, Samba (SMB/CIFS) shared drives, PC shared folders, NAS servers (Synology and others)) - no need to convert video files and copy media files to SD card anymore!
- Playback files directly from uncompressed RAR files
- Lock screen to prevent accidental change of videos (children lock)
- support for USB OTG (On-The-Go) for example: Nexus media importer, USB OTG Helper, USB Host Controller... and much more!
VLC Player Official features list
- Plays most local video and audio files, as well as network streams (including adaptive streaming), like the desktop version of VLC.
- Media library for audio and video files, and allows to browse folders directly.
- Support for multi-track audio and subtitles. It supports auto-rotation, aspect-ratio adjustments and gestures to control volume and brightness.
- Widget for audio control, supports audio headsets control, cover art and a complete audio media library.